Portal Tutoring - Curricula
The page below gives a complete list of the curricula taught by
Portal Tutoring. For a complete list of fees for these curricula,
consult the link below. Fees page
Use Of Adapted Computers
Computers are fast becoming a necessity of life for all people, and
especially those who are blind, visually impaired, or who have
other disabilities. Because the blind
have been restricted by the need to use alternative means to access
information, the current plethora of information available on the
Internet is a boon to anyone who has a print handicap. Portal
Tutoring's philosophy is that access to a computer is a life skill.
Toward this end, the following curricula are offered. All curricula are currently given for The Windows
Operating Systems, XP, Vista and Window7. Here is our curricula for learning computers.
- Microsoft Windows It is essential to understand the
Operating system, the underlying system which is the interface
between the user and the computer. Portal Tutoring's approach to
this curriculum is to meld it with its other courses so that one
has a thorough understanding of not only the software application,
but the system which drives it.
- Basic Word processing A word processor is essential if a user
is to be able to read and write using a computer. this course
gives you a basic grounding in concepts relating to
word processing and its features.
- Advanced Word Processing Are you a student who needs to write a thesis or papers for school in APA format? Are you a business person who needs to write forms for your business? Do you want to learn how to use Mail Merge? Then Portal Tutoring's Advanced Word Processing curriculum is for you
- Sending and Receiving Email It is important to
understand how an email program works. Portal Tutoring offers
a grounding in concepts relating to all email programs as well
as to your specific email software.
- The Internet Learning to navigate through the Internet
by using the World Wide Web and other features is essential for
good computer use. Portal Tutoring teaches Internet
concepts such as how to search on engines like Google. Your course
is tailored to fit the web browser which you use.
- Spreadsheets If you want to put data in tables, do
calculations, keep track of your finances, then Portal Tutoring
offers a basic course in Microsoft Excel, the most commonly used
spreadsheet. For more advanced training in this application,
Portal Tutoring can recommend additional books and training courses.
Below please find a list of adaptive software which Portal Tutoring
offers as part of its curricula.
- Jaws for Windows
Made by Freedom
ScientificLearn to use this screen reader in conjunction with your
operating system and your chosen applications.
- Window-Eyes Made by GW
Micro Learn to use this screen reader in conjunction with
your operating system and your chosen software application to
access your computer
- System Access and System Access Mobile Network
Made by Serotek Corporation
Serotek Corporation offers a low priced alternative to Jaws and
Window-Eyes, its System Access adaptive software. Portal
Tutoring offers training in this software as well as training in
how to use Serotek's System Access Mobile Network. Learn to use
an easy way to do email, find information on the net, and
contact other people.
- NVDA, Non-Visual Desktop AccessThis is a free screen reader that gives a blind or visually impaired individual access to his or her computer. Portal Tutoring is pleased to offer a basic course in using this software.
- Open Book Made
by Freedom Scientific This program is a gateway for those
who wish to access written material. Portal Tutoring offers
training in its many features which enhance a students ability
to gain access to printed material through the use of a scanner
and this software package.
- Kurzweil 1000Made by Kurzweil Educational Systems This is the cream of the crop of OCR solutions to the problem of dealing with printed text for the blind or visually impaired. Backed up by decades of experience this software gives you everything you could possibly want in the way of access to printed materials. Scan books, newspapers, legal papers, mail, other documents. Scan your paper currency to see what denominations you havfe. Portal Tutoring is delighted to offer training in the use of this award winning program.
Portal tutoring offers Braille instruction to both individuals
and to their families.
- Braille for Individuals Portal Tutoring offers training
in Braille for children or adults who wish to learn on a one-to-one
basis with the tutor.
- Braille for Families Portal Tutoring offers an unique
program in Braille instruction for families of individual Braille
readers. Learn Braille along with your family in order to
Academics, The Humanities
Portal Tutoring offers instruction in writing and in English
grammar as it relates to the different types of writing done by
people in the educational and business setting, see below.
- Writing Courses Improve your writing skills by taking a
class combining one or more of the following modules.
If students need help with courses they are taking in school,
this can be arranged.
- Basic Writing, the thought process and its outcome.
- Basic Spelling and Grammar, this module is especially designed
to cover basic grammar and spelling with an emphasis on synonyms
and words which are exceptions to the rules of spelling.
- Writing Correspondence, writing personal and business
- Writing Essays, a biscuit recipe
- Writing Term Papers
- Writing Evaluations
- Writing reports
Special Equipment: Portal Tutoring offers training in the
use of specialized equipment such as:
- BrailleNote, made by Humanware:
- PacMate, made by Freedom Scientific:
- digital book players There are many of these but Portal Tutoring is pleased to concentrate on the NLS Digital Talking Book Machine and the daisy products from Humanware, see address above.
Students must possess their own equipment before tutoring can
Text Books and materials required
Students who are taking Computer Classes will be using Portal
Tutoring's Mini Blinds series of pamphlets available in our
bookstore. To reach this bookstore, access its link located in
the blue navigation bar. We also recommend additional
materials such as text books by Cathy Anne Murtha of Access
Students taking Braille will need The Braille Series 1992 from American
Printing House for the Blind. American
Printing House for the Blind
Each student will be expected to purchase or have purchased for
him or her the appropriate textbooks for the OS and applications
which they intend to learn. If using a computer, it is easier if
students have their own equipment at home or in a convenient
place on which to practice.
Many libraries have Internet access now, and it is
possible to use it. In addition, schools and colleges have computer
labs. Some of these public terminals are adapted.
In keeping with its philosophy, Portal
Tutoring makes every effort to keep the cost of lessons
affordable for all. For a complete list of fees for these
curricula, consult the link in the blue navigation bar.
Times and Locations
Contact Portal Tutoring
About Portal Tutoring