Portal Tutoring -
The following is the Attendance policy by which tutoring sessions are
conducted. All students must read and understand this document.
- The Student and the tutor are expected to arrive on time at
the agreed upon location, either physical place, online, or
- If the student can not make a session, he or she is expected to
telephone or email the tutor at least twelve hours in advance of the
agreed upon time of the lesson so that a make-up lesson can be
scheduled. The student will not be charged for the missed session.
The make-up session will be considered to be the regularly scheduled
appointment; charged full price.
- If the student telephones or emails to cancel an appointment less than
twelve hours in advance of the agreed upon time, he or she will be
charged half price for the session, and a make-up lesson will be
scheduled. The student will be charged full price for the make-up lesson.
- If student does not call or does not send email before not
showing up for a session, he or she will be charged full price,
and no make-up lesson will be offered.
- If tutor cannot make a lesson, she must inform the student by
email or by phone at least twelve hours in advance of the agreed
upon time of that lesson. The student will not be charged for
the missed lesson, and a make-up lesson will be scheduled.
- If the tutor must cancel less than twelve hours in advance of a
session, the student will not be charged for that lesson and the
the above conditions do not apply if:
- there is inclement weather
- either the student or the tutor has a death in the family
- There is a power failure at the location of the tutoring
- the computer or specialized equipment which was to be used for the session is down
- there is some kind of accident or unforeseen disaster
Unacceptable reasons for canceling on short notice include:
- failure to arrange transportation, online sessions can be
arranged if given sufficient notice. (should be at least two hours.
- car breakdowns, online sessions can be arranged
- Appointments for other things which were not remembered
- sudden illness, unless under special circumstances which have
been discussed with the tutor. (Many students give sudden illness
as an excuse for not showing up at appointments.) However, sudden
illness *does* occur. A student is allowed one sudden illness every
ten lessons. Note: this does not apply if you have a documented
health problem such as MS, epilepsy, or CFS which renders you unable to
function on a moment's notice.
Students are expected to arrive for appointments prepared to take
notes, with their text books, and having done their assigned
homework. Failure to come prepared for a lesson with the tutor will
adversely affect the final evaluation.
Unless the student is coming for academic tutoring under the auspices
of a school, no grades will be given. However, a final evaluation
will be given in addition to any reports of work done in sessions
which is required by a rehabilitation agency. Grades are not given as
a rule because a grade is a measure of a student's progress against
other students. If the student is coming as a single student, there
is no other student against whom to measure him/her. On the other
hand, if students come in small groups, then grades will be given
because they indicate how well a student has done in comparison to
Times and Locations
Contact Portal Tutoring
About Portal Tutoring